The City of Minneapolis, KS is seeking a community oriented, energetic professional to serve as our Police Chief. Minneapolis is located in north central Kansas with a population of 2,045.
Under the supervision of the City Administrator, the Chief of Police plans and directs the activities of the Police Department. The employee is responsible for the enforcement of laws and ordinances and the protection of life and property in the City of Minneapolis. This employee has internal control in the administration of the department and for the development and administration of a complete program of public law.
- Responsible for serving and protecting the public through the enforcement of all federal, state and local laws and ordinances and providing superior quality emergency care.
- Plans, directs, inspects, evaluates and exercises supervision over the personnel of Police Department.
- Assist in the preparation of budget estimates and controls expenditures of all departmental funds.
- Prepares work schedules.
- Formulates and enforces departmental rules and regulations.
- Reviews activities and documentation for this departments and enforces disciplinary measures when necessary.
- Directs the investigation of major criminal offences and cooperates with state and federal officials in the apprehension of wanted individuals.
- Directs quarterly Quality Assurance/Quality Improvement reviews.
- Schedules training for departmental personnel.
- Coordinates law enforcement efforts with other federal, state and county agencies.
- Performs general public relations work.
Minimum Requirements: More than five years of law enforcement and supervisory experience is required. Employee is expected to have acquired the necessary information and skills to perform the job well after one year in the position. High school diploma or G.E.D. required with a Criminal Justice degree preferred. Requires graduation from a law enforcement training center (K.L.E.T.C.) certification and 40 hours of continuing education annually. In place of the above requirements, the applicant may possess any combination of relevant education and experience that would demonstrate the individual's knowledge, skill, and ability to perform the essential duties listed on the job description.
Residency requirements apply. Salary will be commensurate with education and experience. The City of Minneapolis offers an excellent benefits package.
Applicants should send cover letter, resume, salary history, and three professional references to Barry Hodges, City Administrator, City of Minneapolis, 311 N. Mill, Minneapolis, Kansas 67467, or email to email@example.com . Applications received until position is filled.