The City of Herington, Kansas seeks a dedicated and energetic professional to serve as the Chief of Police of the Herington Police Department
The Police Department presently operates with seven full-time sworn officers who serve the City's approximately 2,200 residents over an area of about five square miles within the two counties of Dickinson and Morris. The Police Chief manages an annual operating budget of about $551,000.
The Chief of Police is appointed by and reports directly to the City Manager. The City of Herington is a Commission-Manager form of government with five at-large City Commissioners responsible for setting the overall policy and direction of the City. The City Manager carries out the direction of the City Commission through various Department Directors, to include the Chief of Police.
The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate law enforcement experience both from the field and supervisory/management service. Honesty and ethical application of police methods will be required. The Chief of Police will be expected to provide a proactive and engaging leadership style that seeks continuous improvement and community engagement. The Police Chief will lead the Department on continuing its community policing initiatives using intelligence-led policing strategies. The ideal candidate should have a thorough understanding of the challenges associated with law enforcement in a rural community.
The Chief needs to be accessible to the public and willing to partner and collaborate with other agencies, including non traditional organizations, to address community challenges. The Chief of Police will be active in the community and will frequently interact with civic groups, religious institutions, non-profits, governmental agencies, and businesses. The Chief of Police is expected to fill in on an occasional patrol shift while balancing administrative duties. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be willing to communicate regularly with the public on policing topics and challenges.
Essential Job Functions
- Establish, implement, and administer departmental goals, objectives, policies, and procedures to achieve results-oriented law enforcement.
- Oversee the enforcement of statutory laws and local ordinances relating to public safety and welfare of citizens through the implementation of a data driven, community policing approach.
- Coordinate investigations with federal, state, county, and other municipal law enforcement agencies.
- Analyze data on the efficiency and effectiveness of programs and services and implement corrective actions as necessary.
- Maintains continuous communication with City Manager, Department Directors, and the public.
- Attends City Commission meetings and other required after-hours activities, as requested, and submits periodic reports to the City Manager regarding Department activities and prepares other reports as necessary.
- Develop annual operating budget and capital improvement plan, in conjunction with the City Manager, that includes necessary supporting justification and documentation.
- Organize department structure to ensure the maximum utilization of available resources.
- Select, train, discipline, and evaluate employees and resolve employee complaints and grievances.
- Authorize, direct, and review the investigation of complaints and charges against department personnel accused of criminal, civil, or departmental violations.
- Plan and implement special police details, investigations, and operations. Patrols the City of Herington, both City-owned lakes and the Herington Regional Airport (HRU).
- Develop emergency response plans and coordinate activities with other municipal departments, intergovernmental agencies, and the public as necessary.
- Oversees security for Herington Municipal Court
- Coordinate programs with criminal justice professionals and social service agencies.
- Any other items delegated by the City Manager
- A High School Diploma or GED is required. An Associate’s Degree in Criminal Justice or Psychology is preferred. A Bachelor's Degree is strongly preferred. This position requires graduation from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center, 40 hours of continuing education annually, radar certification, and a valid driver’s license.
- Candidates should have at least ten years of progressively responsible law enforcement experience with at least five years in a command/leadership position.
- State of Kansas certification as a Police Officer or ability to attain such certification within one year of appointment.
- Graduation from a senior command/leadership program is highly desirable. Must pass a medical examination, drug screen and physical, and background investigation.
- Possession of a valid driver's license issued by the State of Kansas or eligible to obtain one within six months of appointment.
- The position requires a minimum of forty hours of professional continuing education annually.
- The Police Chief is required to reside within the USD 487 boundaries to provide adequate on-call or emergency support.
Salary and Benefits
The starting salary is negotiable, based on qualifications. The salary range for the position is Exempt and is between $60,000-$65,000. In addition to salary, the City of Herington offers a competitive benefits package. This position participates in Kansas Police and Fire pension program through the State of Kansas.
All applicants must complete the application process no later than 4:00 pm, prevailing time, on Friday, October 1st, 2021.
The position will remain open until filled. The City Manager anticipates first-round questionnaires for the position the week of October 4th, 2021 with in-person/Zoom interviews starting October 11th, 2021, An offer of employment is expected by the week ending October 22nd. A start date will be negotiated based on the candidate's employment status.