General Definition of Work: Performs intermediate protective service work protecting and serving the citizens, businesses, and property-owners of the city by preserving order and enforcing applicable Federal, State, and local laws. Work is performed under the moderate supervision of a Sergeant.
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable an individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Performs patrol duties during a specific period in assigned police equipment; examines premises of unoccupied buildings to detect any suspicious conditions; investigates suspicious conditions and complaints; intervenes in domestic disputes; search for, collects, and identifies evidence found at crime scenes; makes arrests of individuals in violation of laws and ordinances.
- Operates patrol vehicles, computers, firearms, radio equipment, cameras, surveillance equipment, and other law enforcement equipment; communicates with dispatchers.
- Assists in investigating traffic crimes; enforces traffic laws and issue traffic citations for violations.
- Assists in complex investigations of criminal activity.
- Prepares required reports; delivers verbal and written information.
- Appears and testifies in court.
- Assists or acts as Animal Control Officer as needed or in his/her absence.
- Performs other duties and activities as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Working knowledge of or ability to develop a working knowledge of applicable Federal, State, and local laws, firearms, law enforcement techniques, computer applications; working knowledge of chemicals for drug testing, and good skill and working knowledge of mathematics; excellent public relations, organizational, verbal and written communication skill; ability to learn to administer CPR, operate patrol vehicles, computers, firearms, radar and communications equipment, and other law enforcement equipment; ability to judge distances, to understand and anticipate problems, to enforce applicable Federal, State, and local laws; ability to interpret written instructions, maps, manuals, and reports; ability to testify credibly in a court of law and possess no Brady/Giglio material to impeach or impair credibility; ability to demonstrate leadership, management, and technical skills through effective collaboration, team resources, progressive decision making, and personal responsibility; ability to be committed to the mission, vision, and strategic direction of the City of Bonner Springs; ability to obey and comply with all City ordinances and policies.
No previous law enforcement experience is required. Employee is expected to acquire the necessary information and skills to perform the job well within one year of employment. ***Special salary considerations for Kansas Certified Police Officers***
Education: High school diploma or GED is required. A technical degree or significant college coursework in a relevant or related field is preferred. License/Certification: The employee must have a valid driver's license. Graduation from a Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center within one year of employment is required. Previous Graduation from a recognized Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center is preferred.
To apply: visit https://www.bonnersprings.org/jobs.aspx and complete an online application.
Closing Date: Until Filled
For additional information you may email email@example.com.