The Thomas County Sheriff's Office Jail has just recently upgraded to 64 beds. Our facility has 24/7 in-person coverage to monitor inmates housed in it. Thomas County has recently built a new Justice Center which includes a 64 bed state of the art facility. Thomas County has a population of approximately 7,900 residents. Inside of Thomas County are the cities of Brewster, Colby, Gem, Levant, Menlo, and Rexford with Colby being the County Seat. There are also the unincorporated towns of Levant and Mingo and a small portion of Oakley, which is the County Seat of Logan County.
This position introduces you to multiple law enforcement officers and agencies helping to assist those who look to moving on toward a law enforcement position. We welcome anyone with or without prior experience in corrections and/or law enforcement and will train the right candidate!
- Supervise and maintain discipline and control of inmates at all times.
- Perform searches of inmates’ persons and physical areas in order to prevent and control contraband.
- Observe and monitor inmates’ activities and interactions while enforcing policy, rules and regulations.
- Follow established security procedure in controlling visitors, staff, inmate and vehicular traffic to prevent the admittance or exit of authorized persons and the introduction of contraband.
- Take reports of criminal activity and/or inmate violations that may occur inside of the facility.
- Respond to emergency situations in accordance with appropriate contingency plans.
- Be able to use a computer to enter information completely and accurately.
- Distribute meals.
- Distribute medications under the guidance of medical staff.
- Ensure law enforcement completes required paperwork for new inmates brought to the facility.
- Transport inmates to and from other facilities (office vehicle provided for transports).
- Move inmates through corridors.
- Take inmates to court.
- Maintain facility and vehicles by cleaning and performing limited general maintenance.
- Work schedule requires weekend, holiday, rotating shift work, overtime, and some court appearances. Will be subject to regular rotation and/or shift assignments within the facility.
- Adverse working conditions exist within this position. Possible exposure to chemicals, excessive noise, and adverse weather conditions should be expected.
- This position contains an element of risk to personal safety while performing the day-to-day duties.
- Employees may be exposed to blood-borne pathogens while working with inmates.
- Employees may be required to perform work functions by themselves (on-call personnel will be available, if needed).
- At least 18 years of age at the time of hire.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver's license.
- Free of felony conviction(s).
- Free of any felony and/or misdemeanor domestic violence crime(s).
- No DUI convictions within the last 24 months.
- Be able to pass a drug test upon offer of employment.
- Be able to lift 50 pounds and drag 50 pounds on the ground.
- Live within 45 minutes from our facility.
- Applicants must not have any Brady/Giglio material in background to be eligible for hiring.
- Must be able to maneuver through the entire jail facility without assistance from another staff member.
Additional Information All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $17.00 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- 12 hour shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
Work Location: One location
If you have any questions you can call us at 785-460-4570. To apply visit this website. Thomas County Sheriff (thomascountysheriffsoffice.com).