PAYMENT RATE: Set by Board of Education
- Above average written and verbal communication skills;
- High School Diploma/GED
- Excellent health
- Citizen of the United States;
- Hearing and vision within normal ranges or correctable within normal ranges;
- No commissions/convictions of any felony or any conviction for domestic violence;
- Is of good moral character and possess and maintain a valid Kansas driver's license.
- Must pass a written test,, physical agility test, oral board interview, and in depth background investigation,
- Psychological evaluation, and a pre-employment physical capacity testing and drug screen as well as a FBI/KBI fingerprint check which is required only after an offer of employment has been made. The offer of employment is contingent upon the applicant passing the required tests.
- Must be able to successfully complete and graduate from the required basic Kansas Law Enforcement Training Academy and then maintain the annual in-service training courses thereafter.
- Must attend and complete an SRO Certification Course and maintain certification.
- 5 years of law enforcement experience is required.
- A police officer is required to exercise initiative and discretion when faced with emergency conditions.
- Read, write, and speak the English language with sufficient proficiency to communicate effectively in person, over police radios, computer, and through written reports.
- The ability to multitask various duties at one time while maintaining proficiency in a variety of assigned duties.
- Enter or exit a patrol vehicle rapidly in emergency situations and be capable of sitting in a patrol vehicle for extended periods of time.
- Sit, stand, walk, run, stoop, kneel, crouch, and climb.
- Climb through open windows, over fences and other stationary obstacles.
- Drive a police vehicle safely and satisfactorily in both emergency and non-emergency situations.
- Move with sufficient physical agility to perform all police functions (e.g., take cover quickly, pursue, tackle and control a fleeing suspect, etc.)
- Physically control persons, including those resisting arrest, by use of appropriate and necessary force.
- Use and care for department approved firearms in the safe and appropriate manner required by department regulations.
- Observe, memorize and recall details.
- Develop and retain detailed knowledge of the geography of the City of Chanute.
- Maintain composure and self-control under adverse conditions.
- React quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Be available as needed for emergency call backs.
- Perform duties and maintain personal conduct (on and off duty), attitude, and appearance that conform to strict policies, procedures, and discipline within a chain of command system utilized in a paramilitary organization.
- Analyze complex problems and adapt quick reasonable source action with due regard to the surrounding hazards and circumstances.
- Learn, interpret and properly apply laws applicable to law enforcement work, department policies and procedures.
- Cope with situations firmly, courteously, tactfully and with respect for the rights of all citizens.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, public officials and the general public.
- Enforcement of the laws of Kansas.
- Patrols assigned areas using assigned police equipment. Investigates suspicious conditions and responds to complaints or calls for service. Directs traffic, investigates accidents.
- Promotes crime prevention and security programs.
- Acts on directives from higher ranking officers.
- Other related duties as required
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Requires prolonged sitting, stooping, bending, and reaching.
- May require physical exertion to manually move, lift, carry, pull, or push heavy objects or materials.
- Must be able to work in noisy and crowded environments.
- Requires driving skills and access to a vehicle.
- May require some travel.
- Must react to a rapidly changing environment.
To apply, visit https://www.applitrack.com/chanute/onlineapp/default.aspx?Category=Security
This position will remain open until filled. This is a SRO position primarily at the Middle School for the USD413 Campus Police Department in Chanute, Ks.