Pittsburg State University invites applications for the position of University Police Officer in University Police and Parking Services. The primary function of the University Police Officer is to patrol University property to enforce laws, ordinances, and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
35% Patrol campus area via foot, car, or other means to enforce traffic regulations, criminal laws, and city ordinances to ensure public safety.
25% Take enforcement actions including issuing traffic warnings and citations. Respond to calls involving accidents, injuries, and disturbances; secure the scene and conduct an appropriate investigation. Collect relevant information by interviewing witnesses and victims. Make arrests and interrogate suspects according to applicable laws, policies, and procedures. Secure crime scenes; collect and process evidence correctly and consistently. Serve as armed security detail for the transport of University monies.
20% Provide crowd control, surveillance, and security at special events held on campus. Respond appropriately to emergency situations, including keeping the public safe by evacuating buildings or campus areas when required.
10% Obtain warrants; verify authenticity and execute arrest and search warrants. Complete all necessary documentation, including logs and reports on daily activity.
5% Initiate and build community relationships; provide information and education on a variety of topics including safety and crime prevention. Maintain a working knowledge of other community agencies and support groups; assist citizens by making referrals to these groups when appropriate.
5% Perform any other related duties as required or assigned.
Education and Experience
Required Education and Experience at Hire -
- High School Diploma or equivalent
Necessary Special Requirements
- Must be able to complete a basic law enforcement training program recognized by the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Commission and obtain and maintain certification as a law enforcement officer from the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Commission before being given permanent status. Prior KLETC certification is preferred.
- Must pass a drug screening test approved by the State of Kansas.
- Requires the use of a firearm and therefore the individual must be eligible in the state of Kansas to carry firearm. Candidates cannot have been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor domestic violence crime as set forth in 18 U.S. C § 922(d) (9) and (g) (9).
- Must obtain and maintain all required certifications, including firearms, first aid, and CPR
- Must be a United States citizen, at least 21 years of age and must possess a Valid Driver’s License
Screening Services (Background Checks): Employment with Pittsburg State University is contingent on a satisfactory criminal background check.
Salary: Grade 6 - $18.13
Job Type: University Support Staff
Appointment Duration: 12 months
Work Schedule: Full Time – To Be Determined
Application Documents Required*:
- Cover letter
- Names and Contact Details for Three (3) Professional References
*Consolidate documents into a maximum of 2 to upload.
Search Committee Chair: Stu Hite (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Application Deadline Date: June 25, 2020
PSU will only accept applications submitted through their online process.
Veteran's Preference: An applicant who has been certified to have veteran’s preference must be offered an interview for any University Support Staff job opening for which they meet minimum qualifications. To qualify for veteran’s preference, an applicant must submit a DD-214 with the application for each job opening. The DD-214 must indicate Active Military Service and Honorable Discharge to entitle the applicant for veteran’s preference.