The City of Abilene, Kansas, the proud hometown of President Eisenhower, seeks a dedicated and energetic professional to serve as Police Chief of the Abilene Police Department. The Department presently operates with fourteen full-time sworn officers who serve the City’s approximately 6,800 residents over an area of about ten square miles. The Police Chief manages an annual operating budget of about $1.4 million.
The Police Chief is appointed by and reports directly to the City Manager. The City of Abilene is a Commission-Manager form of government with five at-large City Commissioners responsible for setting the overall policy and direction of the City. The City Manager carries out the direction of the City Commission through various Department Directors, to include the Police Chief.
Ideal Candidate The ideal candidate for this position will demonstrate law enforcement experience both from field and supervisory/management service. Honesty and ethical application of police methods will be required. The Police Chief will be expected to provide a proactive and engaging leadership style that seeks continuous improvement and community engagement. The Police Chief will lead the Department on continuing its community policing initiatives using intelligence led policing strategies. Experience in police facility design and construction is preferred, although not required. The ideal candidate should have a thorough understanding of the challenges associated with law enforcement in a rural community.
The Chief needs to be accessible to the public and willing to partner and collaborate with other agencies, including nontraditional organizations, to address community challenges. The Police Chief will be active in the community and will frequently interact with civic groups, religious institutions, non-profits, governmental agencies, and businesses. The Police Chief is expected to fill in on an occasional patrol and conduct periodic foot patrols in the business districts and schools. The ideal candidate will have excellent written and verbal communication skills and be willing to communicate regularly with the public on policing topics and challenges.
Essential Job Functions
● Establish, implement and administer departmental goals, objectives, policies and procedures to achieve results-oriented law enforcement.
● Oversee the enforcement of statutory laws and local ordinances relating to public safety and welfare of citizens through the implementation of a data-driven, community policing approach.
● Coordinate investigations with federal, state, county and other municipal law enforcement agencies.
● Analyze data on the efficiency and effectiveness of programs and services and implement corrective actions as necessary.
● Maintains continuous communication with City Manager, Department Directors, and the public.
● Attends City Commission meetings and other required after-hours activities, as requested, and submits periodic reports to the City Manager regarding Department activities and prepares other reports as necessary.
● Develop annual operating budget and capital improvement plan, in conjunction with the City Manager, that includes necessary supporting justification and documentation.
● Organize department structure to ensure the maximum utilization of available resources.
● Select, train, discipline and evaluate employees and resolve employee complaints and grievances.
● Authorize, direct, and review the investigation of complaints and charges against department personnel accused of criminal, civil or departmental violations.
● Plan and implement special police details, investigations and operations.
● Oversee the Department’s implementation of various municipal policies and procedures including by not limited to the Personnel Policy and Purchasing Policy.
● Serve as a general liaison between the Abilene Police Department and various community stakeholders, law enforcement agencies, criminal justice organizations, media, and the general public.
● Develop emergency response plans and coordinate activities with other municipal departments, intergovernmental agencies, and the public as necessary.
● Coordinate programs with criminal justice professionals and social service agencies.
● Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, public administration, or related field is required; Master’s degree in related field preferred.
● Candidates should have at least ten years of progressively responsible law enforcement experience with at least five years in a command/leadership position.
● State of Kansas certification as a Police Officer or ability to attain such certification within one year of appointment.
● Graduation from a senior command/leadership program is highly desirable.
● Must pass a medical examination, drug screen and physical, and background investigation.
● Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Kansas or eligible to obtain one within six months of appointment.
● Position requires a minimum of forty hours of professional continuing education annually.
● The Police Chief is required to reside within ten miles of the corporate limits of the City and within the boundaries of Dickinson County.
Salary and Benefits Starting salary is negotiable, based qualifications. The salary range for the position is between $71,364 & $96,345. In addition to salary, the City of Abilene offers a competitive benefits package. This position participates in Kansas Police and Fire pension program through the State of Kansas.
To Apply: Please visit www.discoverpolicing.org to apply. All applicants must complete the application process no later than 5:00 pm, prevailing time, on Friday, July 24, 2020. The position will remain open until filled. The City Manager anticipates first round interviews for the position the week of August 3, 2020. An offer of employment is expected by week of August 17, 2020 The starting date for the selected candidate is somewhat negotiable, although the City Manager desires to have the selected candidate in office no later than September 14, 2020.